The Hamilton Spectator was first published July 15, 1846, and since that date has been the voice of Hamilton and the surrounding area. Originally named The Hamilton Spectator and Journal of Commerce, the paper was founded by Robert Smiley and a partner, and was eventually sold in 1877 to William Southam, founder of the Southam newspaper chain. The Spectator was the first newspaper in the group, which grew from a single property to become a significant media voice in Canada for more than 100 years.
In 1998, the Southam newspapers were sold to Conrad Black, and The Spectator was then sold again to Quebecor-owned Sun Media. In 1999, the newspaper was sold for a third time to Torstar Corporation, which also publishes the Toronto Star, the Waterloo Region Record, the Guelph Mercury, Metroland community newspapers and several other media properties.
The Spectator is published six days a week in the morning and has an average daily readership of nearly 260,000 adults. It services Hamilton, Burlington and surrounding communities Stoney Creek, Ancaster, Dundas, Flamborough and Glanbrook, as well as the Niagara communities of Grimsby and Beamsville along with Brant County and Haldimand-Norfolk towns such as Caledonia, Hagersville and Dunnville. The Spectator also serves Halton Region, as far east as Oakville...